Johannesburg is the largest city in South Africa, by population. Johannesburg is the provincial capital of Gauteng, the wealthiest province in South Africa, having the largest economy of any metropolitan region in Sub-Saharan Africa. The city is one of the 50 largest metropolitan areas in the world, and is also the world's largest city not situated on a river, lake, or coastline. It claims to be the lightning capital of the world, though this title is also claimed by others.
While Johannesburg is not one of South Africa's three capital cities, it is the seat of the Constitutional Court, which has the final word on interpretation of South Africa's new post-Apartheid constitution. The city is the source of a large-scale gold and diamond trade, due to its location on the mineral rich Witwatersrand range of hills.
Johannesburg is served by two international and one domestic airport. O.R. Tambo International Airport, the largest and busiest airport in Africa and a gateway for international air travel to and from the rest of Southern Africa is to the east of the city and Lanseria International Airport to the west. Rand Airport to the south east only handles general aviation flights, though it has the capacity for large jet aircraft.
Johannesburg is located in the eastern plateau area of South Africa known as the Highveld, at an elevation of 1,753 metres. The former CBD is located on the south side of the prominent ridge called the Witwatersrand (Afrikaans: White Water's Ridge) and the terrain falls to the north and south. By and large the Witwatersrand marks the watershed between the Limpopo and Vaal rivers. The north and west of the city has undulating hills while the eastern parts are flatter.
Johannesburg may not be built on a river or harbour, but its streams contirbute to two of southern Africa's mightiest rivers. The Limpopo and the Orange. Most of the springs from which many of these streams emanate are now covered in concrete and canalised, accounting for the fact that the names of early farms in the area often end with "fontein", meaning "spring" in Afrikaans. Braamfontein, Rietfontein, Zevenfontein, Doornfontein, Zandfontein and Randjesfontein are some examples.
Johannesburg Climate and Weather
Johannesburg enjoys a very favourable climate, dry and sunny all year round. Between October and April the city experiences heavy afternoon thunderstorms with downpours of rain that disappear as quickly as they arrive. Winter days are only slightly cooler than the pleasant summer average temperatures, but it can become frosty on winter nights.
Good restaurants Johannesburg
Cube Tasting Kitchen: 17 4th Avenue | Park Town North, Johannesburg, South Africa - tel:082 422 8158
Cafe Del Sol: Olivedale Corner Centre | Pres.Fouche Drive. Randburg, Johannesburg, South Africa - tel:011 704 6493
Restaurante Parreirinha: No. 9, 6th Street | La Rochelle, Johannesburg, South Africa - tel:+27 011 435-3809
The Grillhouse: Cor Oxford Road and Bierman Avenue | Rosebank, Johannesburg, South Africa - tel:011 880 3945
Thomas Maxwell: 140 11th Street, | Parkmore, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa - tel:011 784 1575
Tasha's: Rosebank | shop g28, Johannesburg 2196, South Africa - tel:114477972
Licorish: Corner William Nicol Drive and Wedgewood link, Bryanston, Sandton, 2012
Wombles: 17 3rd Avenue, Johannesburg, South Africa - tel:0118802470
DW 11-13: Corner Bompass and Jan Smuts avenue | Dunkeld West, Johannesburg, South Africa - tel:011 341 0663
Pigalle: Michelangelo Towers Mall | Maude Street, Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa - tel:11 884 8899
Casalinga Ristorante Italiano: Rocky Ridge Road, Johannesburg, South Africa - tel:011 957-3311/2612
Start Dating in Johannesburg
Are you tired of dating sites matching you with singles from just your own boring region or your own country? Well then you've come to the right place. Just Globogirls.com will match you on your true interests with even girls from Johannesburg. Don't waste your time chatting to singles which are in your boring region, or which do not excite you, explore the world and meet interesting hot girls from Johannesburg and other places you would love to visit with a hot girl as your company.
If you are visiting Johannesburg than you should also pay a visit to other beautiful places in south Africa like Durban, the Durban women are very hospitality and love to have a chat with tourists. Another nice spot in South Africa is of course Cape Town, this beautiful place is full of historical culture that you must see. And on the other hand, the women from Cape Town are wonderful!
Explore Johannesburg's with a hot female you met online.
A city as big as Johannesburg has tonnes to offer singles heading out on dates. Lots of sporting events and musical concerts take place there. City never sleeps. In Johannesburg there is something for everyone. Whatever location you are looking for, you will definitely find in Johannesburg.
Find Local Love
It's always better to travel in a company. To find someone who is also interested in exploring Johannesburg you can try online dating or you can simply crash on some of local cafes or restaurants and find an attractive local. There's never been a better or more exciting time to join the Johannesburg online dating scene thru Globogirls, so join free today!
Meet other hot girls from south africa in the regions: Cape Town girls - Johannesburg girls - Pretoria girls - Durban girls - Port Elizabeth girls - Bloemfontein girls - Pietermaritzburg girls - Kempton Park girls - Rustenburg girls - East London girls - Benoni girls - Nelspruit girls - Alberton girls - Midrand girls - Randburg girls - Sandton girls - Boksburg girls - Bellville girls - Roodepoort girls - Richards Bay girls - Germiston girls - Witbank girls - Vanderbijlpark girls - Klerksdorp girls - Vereeniging girls - Secunda girls - Pietersburg girls - Kimberley girls - Edenvale girls - Mafikeng girls
Nightlife, bars, pubs and clubs in Johannesburg
· Aruba Lounge: This happening club offers an evening sushi menu alongside its range of cocktails to get you primed for the night.
· Back2Basix: Boasting one of Jo’burg’s best local acts, this rustic bar focuses on alternative Afrikaans bands.
· Bassline: Enjoy the best of African music, be it kwaito (South African house music), African jazz, or contemporary rock.
· Beira Alta: The minimalist decor and relaxed atmosphere of the Beira Alta is reminiscent of its Portuguese roots which come with a lively selection of Portuguese sounds as well as jazz and world music.
· Emperor's Palace: A casino and about a dozen good restaurants and classic cocktail bars can be found here, together under a Roman-style roof.
· Moloko: With a rather retro-chic atmosphere, this is where Jo’burg’s jet set hang out when they come home to roost.
· Masakeng Restaurant and Bar: This small and intimate restaurant and bar is located next to a defunct movie theatre.
· The Blues Room: Located in an up-market shopping centre, this well-known venue is populated by passionate musicians and a laid-back atmosphere.
· The Radium Beer Hall: Opened in 1929, Radium is one of the oldest pubs in Johannesburg, with a well-stocked bar and a wonderful Portuguese-inspired seafood menu.
· Black Orchid: Northlands Deco Park, Newmarket Road, Northriding - Tel: 011 462 5602/082 879 4907
· Sophiatown: 1 Central Place, Corner of Jeppe and Henry Nxumalo Streets, Newtown - Tel: 011 836 5999
· Classic Corner Headquarters (CCHQ): 1 Main Road, cnr Main and Violet, Fischer's Hill, Primrose - Tel: 011 822 4271
· Gin: 12 Gleneagles Road, Greenside - Tel: 082 925 5674
· Mamma's Shebeen: 18 Gleneagles Drive, Greenside - Tel: 084 652 7851/082 965 2640
· The Doors Nightclub: 19 Van Riebeeck Avenue, Edenvale - Tel: 011 453 7673
· back2basix: Address: Corner of Perth and Lancaster roads, Westdene - Tel: 083 964 4696
· Bassline: Address: 10 Henry Nxumalo Street, Newtown - Tel: 011 838 9145