Albufeira is a city in Portugal. It is the seat of Albufeira Municipality. It is a main tourist destination, due to its coastal location. The city has a population of 22,000. It is 250 kilometres (160 mi) from Lisbon, and is within close proximity of Paderne Castle. Lagos is located 30 kilometres (19 mi) to the west, and Faro 45 kilometres (28 mi) to the south-east. Facilities include a marina, golf courses plus innumerable hotels, apartment blocks, restaurants and bars for the annual flood of visitors.
The tourist areas are divided into two main areas, Areias de São João, known colloquially as 'The Strip', a nightlife oriented area, with many clubs and bars, and the more relaxed Old Town, based in the original town, which maintains the traditional Arabic architecture where possible. The town also has two beaches, Praia dos Pescadores, or the Fisherman's beach, and Praia do Túnel, or the tunnel beach to the West, which is accessed through a tunnel through the cliffs. There is also a harbor, which offers a variety of boat trips along the Algarve coast.
Populair bars Albufeira
Mickey Boons, Matt's Bar, Patcha, Cuica, Café del Mar, Café Mambo, Savannah Bar, Rick's Place Bar, Zoo, BJ's, Blue Star Cafe, Garage, Reno's, La Bamba, Jazz, Gaggs, Wild & Co. and Sultan Bar. There is also an extremely popular nightclub, Kiss.
Things to do
The main attraction of the Algarve is the extended coast line with its numerous beaches. Especially during the busy summer holidays, you will find the larger beaches filled with beach chairs and parasols and usually one or more places where you can book water sport activities like parasailing and jet-skiing. Most beaches have life guards on duty during the summer period.
In Albufeira there is a great variety of beaches:
- Praia dos Pescadores (Fishermans Beach) – next to the old town of Albufeira. Here you can find a boulevard with many restaurants
- Praia do Peneco – Also in the old town. At the end of Rua 5 de Outubro, straight ahead through the Tunnel
- Praia da Oura – At the end of the well known “ Strip” (Avenida Sá Carneira) you keep walking down, until you reach the waterfront.
- If you don´t like the large crowds, there are many smaller secluded beaches, ideal if you travel with small children or just if you like something more characteristic:
- Praia dos Arrifes & Praia de São Rafael – in São Rafael (minutes away from the Marina of Albufeira)
- Praia do Coelho, Praia do Castelo, Praia do Evaristo – here you can see the large rock formations and little basins where the kids can enjoy the sea
- Praia do Lourenço & Praia da Galé – in Galé (about a 10 minute drive from the city of Albufeira)
- A Ruina, Cais Herculano (Fishermans Beach), Tel: 00351 289 612 094.
- Cabana Fresca, Cais Herculano (Fishermans Beach), Tel: 00351 289 585 456.
- Casa da Fonte, Rua João de Deus 7 (Albufeira),Tel: 00351 289 514 578.
- Dream Wave, Albufeira (Albufeira Marina), Tel: +351 962 003 885.
- Bom Garfo, Estrada de Sta Eulalia (Albufeira Oura area), Tel: 00351 289 541 627.
- Teodosio, (Guia), Tel: 00351 289 541 627